Throughout the semester, Accès organizes excursions to sites of historical and cultural interest. Excursions are meant to teach students something about France's past and its place in today's Europe. That's why there are readings and an on-site lecture for each one. We pick sites that are remarkable but where students don't typically go because they are off the main tourist circuit or because they are hard to get to.
In a typical semester, we organize four of the following daytrips:
- the monastery and "pagan wall" of Sainte Odile with a hike to the ruins of the medieval castle of Landsberg
- Le Struthof, high in the Vosges mountains, the only concentration camp built by Nazi Germany in France, followed by a visit to the Alsace-Moselle memorial in Schirmeck
- The Black Forest in Germany with a stop at the baroque castle of Rastatt and/or the cistercian monastery in Maulbronn
- Bike trip along the canal de la Bruche all the way to Molsheim and the Alsatian vineyards
- Carnaval in the German town on Gengenbach
- Visit of Reims, with tour of a champagne cellar and of the cathedral where all French kings have been crowned
- Art nouveau sites in Nancy, with a stop at the castle of Stanislas in Lunéville
- The Unterlinden collection in Colmar and a circuit on a flat-bottomed boat through "La Petite Venise"
- The citadelle of Belfort which withstood three seiges in the 19th century.
- Roman sites in the German city of Trier with a stop at the US military cemetary at St. Avold
- Visit of the medieval town of Ribeauvillé and hike to one of the nearby castles in the Vosges mountains
AND, four of the following evening or half-day excursions:
- Guided tour of the 14th century hospices de Strasbourg wine cellar
- the "moulages" collection of sculptures from the 19th century, in the basement of the main university hall
- Production of a classic French play
- Session of the European Parliament and/or the Council of Europe
- Jewish culture tour in Bischheim with stops at the 13th century miqvé and the cemetery
- Visit of the mosque in Illkirch
- Exhibits at one of the many local museums: Musée Wurth, Musée d'Art Moderne, Musée Tomi Ungerer, Musée historique...
- Printemps des Bretelles accordion festival
AND one extended four-day excursion to either Paris, Lyon, Nancy or Lille.